Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Kyle's Top Ten Movies to Enjoy for Halloween

It was a dark and stormy night over six years ago in a magical land called Myspace where a wide-eyed dreamer named Kyle took to his keyboard and compiled a list of movies he thought everyone should watch around Halloween. Today, in a move having nothing to do with how lazy we are over here at Spoiler Alert Podcast, we’ve dusted the list off and present it for your enjoyment. If you think Kyle’s an idiot, remember, it was a simpler time.

10. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)


Sometimes I get lost in the mountains of sequels this movie spawned and forget that back in 1984 Wes Craven actually made a fun, original horror movie. The premise was so terrifying (a maniac who attacks you in your dreams) that  all my older cousins had to do was recount the plot to me and I couldn’t sleep for weeks. The main reason this is such a classic entry in the horror genre--Freddy Kruger. Something about that character has always appealed to me; maybe it was because he had a sense of humor to him. Sure he was senselessly murdering all of the teenagers in town, but at least he was having a good time doing it. Does Jason ever crack jokes? Don’t think so. Did Michael Meyers once look at the camera and laugh? Nope. Anyone can lumber around, chasing sexy teens in sequel after sequel, but only Freddy did it with style. Not to mention that he lives in your dreams and there’s really no way you can get rid of him. Almost makes you want a sequel.

If you liked A Nightmare on Elm Street, try Halloween:

I’m not a huge Halloween fan, but it did pave the way for slasher films like Nightmare. Besides, you can’t have a Halloween movie list without mentioning it somewhere.

9. Sleepy Hollow (1999)


At the risk of making this list a little heavy on Johnny Depp movies, I have to include Sleepy Hollow. I know, I know, he was in 21 Jump Street and the never-ending Pirates of the Caribbean factory is almost unforgivable, but Depp hit the right note as the quirky Ichabod Crane. Not to mention the Oscar winning art direction, which strikes the perfect tone for a period horror film with its foggy New England settings and pale, sunken-eyed New Englanders. This is how I now assume our friends to the north east spend their Octobers. The odd Burton tone helps keep this movie light as character after character’s head is gleefully removed from its neck. I was impressed with the fleshed out story they built around such a simple legend. This movie could have been very one note, but the rich characters and atmosphere kept this from being just beheading after beheading. And boy, are there beheadings! The fair amount of gore a necessity for any respectable horror movie, plus, Sleepy Hollow gets extra points for casting Christopher Walken as the headless horseman.

If you liked Sleepy Hollow, try Edward Scissorhands:

This movie is oozing with with Burton and Depp. If you don’t like either one of them, stay miles and miles away from Edward Scissorhands. Probably best not to even think about it.

8. Shaun of the Dead (2004)


Flat out hilarious. That’s really all that needs to be said for this one, but I’ll go on a little more. Next to curling up in a little ball and wetting ourselves, I’m pretty sure this is how my friends and I would handle a zombie attack--grab a baseball bat and head for the nearest bar. It may not be the noblest way to handle the situation, but it does seem to be the most practical. All of the humor aside though, the thing that struck me most about Shaun of the Dead was the poignancy of the last half hour. You don’t realize as you’re laughing with these characters throughout the movie how much they are growing on you and how much you will feel for them when they, inevitably, become zombie fodder. There’s some genuine heart in this one, which puts it head and shoulders about the pack and one of the reasons this movie makes most people’s list.

If you liked Shaun of the Dead, try Dawn of the Dead:

I know that George Romero’s Dawn of the Dead is a classic, but I enjoyed the Zack Snyder’s update. If you’re looking for less comedy, see what it’s like to be trapped in a mall with zombies and Ving Rhames. (I love any movie that has zombies running at you instead of just milling around.)

7. Dead Alive/Braindead (1992)


This is often heralded as the goriest movie ever made, and brother, I can see why. Before Peter Jackson was wondering around New Zealand with Elijah Wood, he was chopping up locals with a lawn mower. This simple “boy takes care of zombie mother” story is pushed to extreme limits when the zombies begin mating, and all hell breaks loose. I honestly can’t even this about this movie when I’m eating, it’s that disgusting. Added bonus, there’s a priest that uses his karate skills to fight the undead. I don’t know how someone passes up the chance to see that on screen. Also makes me wonder why the academy waited so long to give Jackson that best director Oscar.

If you liked Dead Alive, try Slither:

This movie zoomed in and out of theaters a few years ago, but I thought it was a little underappreciated. The idea is simple, take your classic 50’s B-movie, throw in a lot of gore and cast Nathan Fillion as the lead. Instant Kyle movie.

6. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)


When I was 9 my Dad described this movie as mind-warping crap, and nothing could have made me want to see it more. It turned out upon viewing that it wasn’t exactly the foray into evil that my father had predicted, but rather a delightful little musical about a man looking for happiness in his life. I love everything about this movie, the music, the design, the character…I could go on, and I know, Tim Burton’s a weirdo, but every now and then he gets it right. As an added bonus, this movie isn’t exactly a bad view at Christmas time either, and thanks to the recent re-release in 3D we get an all new way to experience the folks of Halloween Town. Stop motion animation has always intrigued me with the hours and hours of work for such a small result being something I could never commit too. I think that adds a little something extra to the joy I get from this movie.

If you liked The Nightmare Before Christmas, try The Corpse Bride:

I’m a little hesitant to put this movie on my list, because I don’t like it that much, but the stop motion Halloween animation category is a little light. Maybe you should just rent a Garfield’s Halloween Adventure instead.

5. An American Werewolf in London (1981)


With so many bad werewolf movies out there, it’s a rare thing to find one as intelligent and entertaining as this. Of course, the movie studio was able to negate some of the street cred for this flick by making a sequel so God-awful it’ll make your eyes bleed. I guess the sequel wasn’t made by the same filmmaker though, so I can let that slide. This 80’s horror film follows two American students backpacking through the Highlands of Scotland. To be honest, it doesn’t really follow them both for very long…let’s just say there’s an “animal attack” very close to the beginning; I think you know where it goes from there. Anyone who mentions An American Werewolf in London is bound by law to point out how amazing Rick Baker’s creature effects are, and man, amazing is the right word. So good, in fact, that the Best Makeup Oscar was created because of this movie. The transformation sequence halfway through reminds us why sometimes CGI isn’t the way to go if you want something to look real. I’m looking at you George Lucas.
It’s also pretty damn funny.

If you liked An American Werewolf in London, try Dog Soldiers:

This little known British film is low on production budget, but high on script and body count. Another great non-CGI werewolf entry that will keep you uneasily chuckling as you reach for the silver bullets.

4. Poltergeist (1982)


Two things scare the crap out of me, clowns and tow-headed children (sorry Kev). Co-writer and producer Steven Speilberg seemed to find out about this somehow and inject them both in the creepiest PG movie I’ve ever seen. Anyone who can sit through two hours of Zelda Rubinstein (that weird old lady) talking about the undead and not get the willies is a stronger man than I. I wonder if I hate clowns (especially in doll form) because of this movie or if the terror was already there.

If you liked Poltergeist, try The Sixth Sense:

I don’t want to spoil the ending for anyone, but (spoiler alert) Bruce Willis is a ghost. This is another great movie about creepy kids communicating with the dead. At least they left out the demonic clown doll this time.

3. Scream (1996)


The first time I watched Scream was at a birthday party when I was 15, and it’s been one of my favorite movies ever since. I’d have to check, but I think we watched it 5 or 6 times in a row that night, so yeah, I was a bit of a fan. The perfect blend of humor and scares helped introduce me to the slasher genre, as I wasn’t a big fan before, and I know it did the same for many fans. It was nice to see a movie where the characters were movie fans themselves and well aware of the clichés found in the genre.  Plus, the movie in-jokes were a trivia snob’s dream and kept Scream fresh for many repeat viewings. I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of watching this movie; it’s easily the best of the series.

If you liked Scream, try the rest of the Trilogy:

Admittedly, the other two Screams aren’t as good as the first, but they’re still entertaining movies. I prefer the third over the second, but I think I’m alone in category. Editor’s note: This was written before the wet fart of a movie that was Scream 4. Ah, happy days…

2. Evil Dead II (1987)


Bruce Campbell is a complete badass, as anyone who has ever seen one of his movies can attest too, and Evil Dead II is no exception. It’s basically a rehash of the first Evil Dead with a bigger budget and more emphasis on humor, which I think was a wonderful idea. You know, Spider-Man 3 was a steaming turd of a movie, but it’s hard to hate the man that gave us this classic horror flick. Once again our hero Ash finds himself trapped in the woods fighting everything from the corpse of his girlfriend to his own possessed hand. To say hilarity ensues is an understatement. Any movie that has someone lop off their own hand and replace it with a chainsaw has to be aces. There’s nothing I don’t love about this movie. Evil Dead II’s quotes are instant classics, and the violence is so over the top that you can’t help but smile. They even produced a short-lived musical based on it. I would have paid good money to see that.

If you liked Evil Dead II, try The Army of Darkness:

Evil Dead II’s follow up picks up right where it left off and follows Ash to medieval England (it’s that kind of movie) as he confronts a whole new wave of undead monsters. Not as good, in my opinion, but still better than most of the crap they’re throwing at us these days.

1. The Exorcist (1973)


You can’t have a scary movie list without The Exorcist. For me, it’s the natural choice for the number one spot, offering genuine scares that will stay with you for days. This movie is psychologically terrifying, and probably affected me more than any other horror movie I’ve ever seen. I feel like referring to The Exorcist as a horror movie cheapens it in some way, putting it in the same category at Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This movie is so much more than cheap thrills and gratuitous violence. It gets in your head and stays there. Every character is brought to life with a degree of relatability that allows us to see ourselves in them and become more active participants in the story. You don’t just watch The Exorcist, you experience it, and no Halloween is complete without a viewing.

If you like The Exorcist, try The Shining:

I’m not a huge fan of The Shining (I feel like the ending is a bit of a cop out) but it still regarded as a classic. I can see where fans are coming from, so if you’re looking for a thriller that’s heavy on atmosphere, check it out.

Here are some movies I’ve enjoyed since this list was written that you might like:

Cabin in the Woods
Paranormal Activity (1-3; 4 only if you’re a completest)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Let the Right One In
Troll Hunter
The Innkeepers
Birdemic: Shock and Terror
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
Drag Me to Hell
Zombieland
Monsters

Let me know if I missed any in the comments section below!



No comments:

Post a Comment